Sardines make a wonderful (and affordable) flavor base for creating a fish "pate" that can be spread on toasts or crackers at a party. Here the sardines are first mashed with a fork and then mixed with chopped onion, plain yogurt, a tiny bit of lemon juice and mustard, and salt to taste to form a creamy spread. Chill until ready to serve; this is a great make-ahead option for entertaining.
- 3 baking potatoes (medium)
- 1 alheira sausage (traditional, or similar)
- onion (to taste)
- chopped parsley (to taste)
- 1 egg
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Salt the potatoes and bake, unpeeled.
- Grill the sausage. Peel the potatoes and mash in a bowl.
- Peel the sausage and add to the mashed potatoes.
- Add onion and parsley.
- Add the egg and season with salt and pepper. Mix and knead until well combined.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet.
- Use two spoons to shape patties and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm.