Chayote Squash with Panela Cheese and TomatilloMadeleine Cocina
If you need a side dish that will have the whole family will cheer about, then why not try this Chayote Squash with Panela Cheese and Tomatillo. It does take about 55 minutes to prepare this delectable dish, but it is well worth the time and effort. This recipe, which is 540 calories per serving, combines chayote squash with panela or mozzarella cheese and rich and decadent ingredients for a powerful palate pleasing punch.
- 3 squash (medium-sized chayote, cut into halves)
- 2/3 cheese (panela, may substitute mozzarella, shredded)
- 7 tomatillos
- 4 chile pepper (canica)
- 1 clove garlic
- refried beans (Prepared)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1Heat water in a saucepan and add the chayote squash when it starts to boil. Cook approximately 20-30 minutes, until softened. Remove from water and let cool.
- 2Grill the tomatillos on low heat until brown all over in spots. Grill the chiles and garlic for 1 minute.
- 3Blend the tomatillos, chiles, and garlic together in the blender. Set aside.
- 4Remove the flesh from the chayote squash, leaving the shell intact. Cut the flesh into cubes, removing the more fibrous strings near the center. Add to the tomatillo puree.
- 5Fill the chayote shells with the flesh and sprinkle with cheese. Broil for a few moments or microwave for a few seconds until the cheese melts. Serve over refried beans.
PER SERVING *
|Calories540Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.