If you need a side dish that will have the whole family will cheer about, then why not try this Chayote Squash with Panela Cheese and Tomatillo. It does take about 55 minutes to prepare this delectable dish, but it is well worth the time and effort…
This recipe, which is 540 calories per serving, combines chayote squash with panela or mozzarella cheese and rich and decadent ingredients for a powerful palate pleasing punch.
- 3 squashes (medium-sized chayote, cut into halves)
- 2/3 cheese (panela, may substitute mozzarella, shredded)
- 7 tomatillos
- 4 chile peppers (canica)
- 1 clove garlic
- refried beans (Prepared)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded)
- Heat water in a saucepan and add the chayote squash when it starts to boil. Cook approximately 20-30 minutes, until softened. Remove from water and let cool.
- Grill the tomatillos on low heat until brown all over in spots. Grill the chiles and garlic for 1 minute.
- Blend the tomatillos, chiles, and garlic together in the blender. Set aside.
- Remove the flesh from the chayote squash, leaving the shell intact. Cut the flesh into cubes, removing the more fibrous strings near the center. Add to the tomatillo puree.
- Fill the chayote shells with the flesh and sprinkle with cheese. Broil for a few moments or microwave for a few seconds until the cheese melts. Serve over refried beans.
|Calories540Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.