Lightly sweetened with agave nectar and flavored with saffron, this Challah, or Sabbath Bread, is an elegant braided loaf to serve on any day, not just the sabbath. This Challah is a yeasted dough and so should be left to rise at various points throughout the preparation process to allow the gluten to develop. Braided, brushed with an egg wash, and sprinkled with poppy seeds, this elegant leavened wheat loaf will steal the show at your next dinner.
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 270 milliliters water
- 700 grams wheat flour
- 10 grams salt
- 12 grams yeast
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 3 eggs
- 80 grams butter (at room temperature)
- poppy seeds
- 1 egg (additional, beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius.
- Toast the saffron slightly. Place in a bowl along with enough hot water to cover and set aside to steep.
- Heat the rest of the water and mix together with the agave and eggs. Stir in the cooled saffron mixture. Add the flour, salt, and yeast.
- Knead until a dough is formed. Add the butter, little by ittle, and continue to knead until smooth. Form into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover and set aside to double in volume, approximately 90 minutes.
- Punch the dough down and allow to rise again until nearly doubled in volume, approximately 60 minutes.
- Place the dough on a flat surface and press into a rectangular shape. Divide into two equal parts, roll each into a loaf shape and divide each into three sections. Roll each section out into a long cylinder, approximately 5 centimeters thick. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Braid the three sections of dough together to form a braided loaf on a greased and floured baking tray. Brush with egg. Wait for a few moments and brush again.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds and set aside to rise, for less than an hour.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a baking rack.
PER SERVING *
|Calories170Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.