Side dishes do not have to be boring or less tasty than the main dish. Side dishes can actually taste just as good as the main dish, and even better. This Cauliflower and Alheira Sausage Gratin is an aromatic, hearty side dish that is not only cheesy, but also creamy. Using cauliflower as the base, this dish will not fill you up too fast. And let’s not forget the alheira sausage, which is a traditional Portuguese favorite.
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 sausages (alheira)
- 200 Béchamel Sauce (or white sauce)
- grating cheese (to taste)
- 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the cauliflower and cook it in salted water, add 1/2 lemon. and simmer for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel the alheiras, and saute in a frying pan with a little olive oil, and 2 chopped garlic cloves.
- In another frying pan, saute the cauliflower with 2 garlic cloves in olive oil, until browned.
- Place the cauliflower on the bottom of an ovenproof platter, add the sausage on top, and cover with the white sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, and bake to gratin, for about 15 minutes.