Casatiello Savory Easter CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Renditions of this savory Neapolitan Easter bread abound, so feel free to adapt it to suit your tastes. Set apart by other celebratory thanks to the eggs found embedded on its top, casatiello is typically filled with an assortment of cured pork and cheeses before it's and baked until golden brown. Then, it's as an antipasto for Easter dinner, although the picnic-friendly leftovers arguably taste best the next day.
- 280 milliliters warm water
- 20 grams yeast
- 900 grams flour
- 100 grams vegetable shortening
- 10 grams salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 40 grams pecorino romano cheese
- 300 grams cheese
- 300 grams cured meats
- 5 whole eggs
- 1In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- 2Add the flour on a work surface and make a well in the center. Place the yeast mixture in the well with the shortening, salt, black pepper, and grated cheese. Mix well.
- 3Knead the dough well until it is soft, elastic and uniform. Continue to knead vigorously for approximately 10 minutes.
- 4Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with a moist kitchen towel and let it rise for approximately 2 hours in a warm place.
- 5Punch down the dough and knead it for a few minutes.
- 6Set a small piece of dough aside for the eggs.
- 7Roll out the remaining dough and place the cheeses and meats on top.
- 8Knead it all together, making sure the cured meats and the cheeses are well incorporated with the dough.
- 9Lightly oil and flour a round tube pan and place the dough inside the pan.
- 10Add the whole eggs, raw (be sure to wash them well) and cover them with two strips of dough in the shape of a cross.
- 11Let the dough rise in a warm place, covered, for approximately 3 hours.
- 12Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 13Bake the dough for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14Cool completely and remove the bread from the pan.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1490Calories from Fat550|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat550|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.