Side dishes can make or break a meal. If you don't have the right kind of delicious side to go with your meal, that can throw the whole meal off. This recipe for Carrots in Sweet Spices and Raisin Sauce is a decadent dish that combines sweet carrtos in a succulent sauce that will tantalize your taste buds. This dish is best served with a red meat main dish because the sweet flavors will meld well with the saltiness of the meat.
- 300 grams carrots
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 40 grams brown sugar
- 50 milliliters dry white wine
- 60 grams raisins
- Wash and peel the carrots.
- Cut the carrots into 1/2 centimeter thick slices.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the cinnamon, star anise, lemon zest, and brown sugar and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in the wine and cook to make a syrup.
- Add the carrots and reduce the heat.
- Stir in the raisins and put a lid on the pan.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, carrots should remain somewhat firm.
- Remove the cinnamon and anise before serving.
- Serve with a red meat.