There is just one word to best describe to this cake; Yummy! Carrot cake is an all time favorite, especially when walnuts are included. Toss dates into the picture and, well, it's over the top in a good way (as in carrots, walnuts, and dates are all exceptionally good for you). Brown sugar is the sweetener of choice for carrot cakes, and what is used here, in combination with ground cinnamon and nutmeg as the warming spices.
- 300 grams carrots
- 80 grams walnuts
- 150 grams dates
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 75 grams unsalted butter (softened)
- 5 eggs
- 125 milliliters plain yogurt
- 250 grams self-rising cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease a cake pan with high sides with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- Peel carrots and finely grate.
- Cut dates in pieces and coarsely chop walnuts.
- Set aside. In a bowl, beat sugar and butter and add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add natural yogurt and carrots, and stir very well. Add flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, a pinch of cloves and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly dust walnuts and dates with flour and add to batter. Pour batter in the cake pan, smooth the surface and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.