Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Hazelnut and Smoked Bacon SconesOn dine chez Nanou
Perfect companions, you can dip the scone, smother it with soup, or alternate between the two. You can’t go wrong with bacon. These scones are bursting with flavor. The soup is loaded with carrots and sweet potatoes, giving you plenty of healthy vitamin A.
- 1 kilogram carrots
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (or cumin)
- 260 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 20 grams granulated sugar
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 90 grams butter (cold)
- 1 eggs
- 120 milliliters buttermilk (or whole milk)
- 40 grams hazelnuts
- 1Peel the carrots and sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- 2Dice the onion.
- 3In a saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- 4Add the onion, sweet potatoes, carrots, and fennel seeds.
- 5Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring.
- 6Add the vegetable broth to completely cover the vegetables.
- 7Cook for at least 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- 8Blend the vegetables. Add a little broth, blend again. Then, add broth to desired consistency.
- 9Garnish bowl of soup with some seeds.
- 10Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 11In a bowl, pour the flour, baking powder, sugar, a pinch of salt, and mix.
- 12Cook the bacon, cut it into small pieces. Add to flour mixture.
- 13Add the butter, cut in small pieces, with fingertips, to obtain a dough which looks like a big biscuit.
- 14Add the egg and milk gradually, and mix to obtain a homogeneous paste, add the hazelnuts.
- 15Spread the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 2 to 2 1/2 centimeters.
- 16Cut scones with a biscuit cutter, and place them on a baking plate lined with parchment paper.
- 17Brush the scones with a little bit of milk and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until properly inflated and very lightly browned.
- 18Serve with a little bit of butter or Philadelphia cream cheese.