Winter time means hot bowls of soup with a warm piece of bread for dipping. This vegetarian and gluten free carrot and honey soup will warm you up from the inside out on a cold day and ensure that you get your daily dose of Vitamin A. Sauteed with honey and spices, the carrots are then simmered in vegetable stock until tender before the entire mixture is blended until smooth and served hot. This recipe has instructions for preparation in a dutch oven.
- 2 tablespoons butter oil
- 2 leeks (only the white part, sliced)
- 800 grams carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- chili powder (optional)
- thyme (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- Mexican crema (or natural yogurt)
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter or olive oil and saute the leeks on low heat until softened.
- Add the carrots, honey, a pinch of chili powder (optional), a pinch of thyme (optional), and 1 bay leaf. Saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or until the carrots have softened.
- Remove the bay leaf and blend everything together.
- Serve with the Mexican crema or yogurt served on top, and with crusty bread.