Carrot cake plus coconut cake equals this doubly delicious dessert, which is run through with grated carrots and shredded coconut, for delightful chewy contrast to the tender cake. Yogurt and oil are what contribute to the softer crumb, while beaten egg whites help give the cake a lofter crumb. This is the kind of cake you can enjoy with your afternoon cup of tea or as an after dinner dessert.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 natural yogurt
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 package grated coconut
- 5 medium carrot (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- margarine (for greasing)
- Preheat oven to 250°C (approximately 480°F).
- Whisk egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add yogurt and oil and mix well.
- Add the coconut and carrot and mix again.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
- Grease cake pan with margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200°C (approximately 400°F) for 40-45 minutes.