Incorporating flaky pastry, creamy fresh cheese, and sweet shredded carrot, these Carrot Puffs make a lovely light snack or appetizer. Make your own puff pastry or purchase pre-made puff pastry. Topped with poppy seeds, each puff pastry circle has a light crunch, making it the perfect base on which to spread the creamy carrot cream cheese mixture. Incorporating the sweet freshness of carrots, these Carrot Puffs are a great snack or appetizer when warm weather reigns.
- 8 servings
- 100 grams puff pastry
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 leaves chives
- 1 egg yolk
- white poppy seeds (to taste)
- poppy seeds (colored, to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Extend the puff pastry on a floured surface, and use a round cookie cutter to cut out 16 equal pieces.
- Putting the pieces of puff pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Beat the egg yolk.
- Brush the dough with the yolk, and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool on a grill.
- In a bowl, grate the carrot finely, and add scoops of cream cheese, stir well.
- Add chopped chives, and season pepper and lemon juice.
- Refrigerate the cheese mixture until serving.
- Put the cheese mixture in a bowl so guests can serve themselves, or make small sandwiches, as pictured.