Carrot Cake with Royal IcingO Meu Tempero
Royal icing dripping over the sides makes for a dramatic presentation and makes this carrot cake ideal for a wedding shower or other special occasion. The cake is moist and delicious, with the carrots pureed rather than simply grated, and with orange zest and juice lending bright flavor. Royal icing is made by whisking an egg white until foamy and then whisking in the powdered sugar; here it's flavored with a bit of lemon juice. Use it immediately, before it has a chance to harden.
- 200 grams carrots (puree)
- 3 eggs
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 1 natural yogurt
- 100 milliliters sunflower oil
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 250 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg whites
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1Cook carrots in boiling water until tender.
- 2Drain carrots and puree.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 4For the cake, whisk eggs and sugar until creamy.
- 5Add yogurt, oil and carrot puree.
- 6Whisk again.
- 7Mix in orange juice, orange zest, flour and baking powder and whisk again.
- 8Place batter in a greased and floured cake pan.
- 9Bake in preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- 10Let cool and remove from pan.
- 11For the icing, beat egg white until foamy and gradually add powdered sugar until mixture starts to stiffen.
- 12Add lemon juice and whisk again.
- 13Pour immediately on cake.