Royal icing dripping over the sides makes for a dramatic presentation and makes this carrot cake ideal for a wedding shower or other special occasion. The cake is moist and delicious, with the carrots pureed rather than simply grated, and with orang…
zest and juice lending bright flavor. Royal icing is made by whisking an egg white until foamy and then whisking in the powdered sugar; here it's flavored with a bit of lemon juice. Use it immediately, before it has a chance to harden.
- 200 grams carrot (puree)
- 3 eggs
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 1 natural yogurt
- 100 milliliters sunflower oil
- 1 Orange (zest and juice)
- 250 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Cook carrots in boiling water until tender.
- Drain carrots and puree.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- For the cake, whisk eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Add yogurt, oil and carrot puree.
- Whisk again.
- Mix in orange juice, orange zest, flour and baking powder and whisk again.
- Place batter in a greased and floured cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool and remove from pan.
- For the icing, beat egg white until foamy and gradually add powdered sugar until mixture starts to stiffen.
- Add lemon juice and whisk again.
- Pour immediately on cake.