- 21 3/8 ounces carrot cake mix (classic)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (divided)
- 3 navel orange (large, zested and juiced)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 sticks butter (4 oz. each, at cool room temperature)
- 2 packages cream cheese (8 oz each, at cool room temperature)
- 12 ounces white chocolate (good quality, like bakers' melted, cooled)
- 1 orange (large, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup orange slices (shredded carrot, for garnish)
- carrot (julienne, for garnish)
- fresh mint (for garnish)
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease two 8 inch cake pans. In a saucepan, heat orange juice to just under boiling. Remove from heat. Add contents of carrot and raisin pouch. Let stand 5 mins. In an electric mixer, beat together 1 cup cake mix, pecans, 2 teaspoons of orange zest, pineapple, cinnamon, eggs, and oil for 30 seconds. Add carrot mixture. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Divide between pans. Bake for 20 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Un-mold and cool completely.
- In a standing mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Add cream cheese. Beat for 1 minute or until smooth, scraping down side of bowl as needed. Beat in white chocolate.
- For basket weave icing, place 1 cake layer on a serving platter. Spread top with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer. Spread top and side with thin layer of frosting. Chill for 1 hour.
- Divide remaining frosting between two piping bags. Fitted one bag with a plain decorating tip, like Wilton #7, the the second bag with a serrated tip, like Wilton #47. With the plain tip, pipe out a vertical stripe of frosting from top to bottom of cake. Using the serrated tip, pipe 1¼ inch horizontal stripes of frosting across the the first vertical stripe. Leave an even space between horizontal stripes. Pipe another vertical stripe at the edge of the horizontal stripes. Start the next set of horizontal stripes "under" the first vertical stripe. Repeat until complete.
- With serrated tip, pipe a decorative border at the top edge of the cake. Press remaining nuts into cake at base. Garnish with orange slices, julienne carrot, small white daisy and fresh mint.
|Calories570Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.