- 300 grams carrots (peeled and finely grated)
- 75 grams butter (soft)
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Orange (zested)
- 75 grams plain flour
- 250 grams ground hazelnuts
- 100 grams hazelnuts (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 grams marzipan
- 300 grams icing sugar
- yellow food colouring (a little red and)
- 16 pistachios
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract with the whisk of a hand mixer until creamy. Add the 6 whole eggs one by one and stir in the 2 tbsp of orange juice and zest. Fold in the flour, the ground and chopped nuts and baking powder gradually, stir well and fold in the carrots. Pour into a greased, 10 inch diameter springform cake pan, smooth the top and bake for 35-40 mins. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack. Loosen the pan and immediately drizzle with 1/2 cup of orange juice then leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the cake decorations, knead the marzipan with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Mix some red and yellow food coloring and knead into the marzipan. Shape into 16 carrots and make small grooves in them with the back of a knife. Push a pistachio into the wide end of each carrot.
- For the icing, mix the remaining powdered sugar, the egg white and 1 tbsp of water into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the cake to a cake plate and spread it with the marmalade. Spread the icing on top and leave to dry. To serve, arrange the marzipan carrots on top and garnish with the remaining orange zest.
|Calories1390Calories from Fat680|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat680|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.