- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 6 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs (+ 2 egg whites)
- 2/3 cup butter (melted)
- 3/4 pound carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1/4 pound dark chocolate (70% cocoa, coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 pound almonds (coarsely chopped, toasted)
- 13 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- 2 cups crème fraîche (or sour cream)
- 3/4 pound strawberries (hulled, 6 diced for decoration, remainder mashed)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9 1/2 x 13 inch sheet pan. Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla extract. Whisk whole eggs until thick, add butter then add to flour mixture along with carrots, chocolate and almonds. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 30-35 mins. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, turn oven down to 300°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Beat egg whites, gradually adding 4 tbsp granulated sugar. Mix 5 tbsp sugar with cornstarch and vinegar then fold in. Beat until stiff. Spread mixture over prepared pan and bake for 25 mins, until surface is crisp and meringue lifts easily off paper. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Dust heavily with powdered sugar and remove paper. Break into pieces.
- To finish, whisk crème fraîche and 2 tbsp sugar. Add mashed strawberries then spread 1/4 over brownie. Sprinkle with broken meringue pieces then remaining strawberry cream. Portion and remove from pan. Serve decorated with diced strawberries.
PER SERVING *
|Calories320Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.