- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (large, sliced into ⅓” thick rounds)
- 1 package carne asada (Autentica, from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 package corn tortillas (super size, I use 6 tortillas)
- 1 pound monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 package tomatoes (Villagio Marzana, Trader Joe’s, diced, or Roma)
- 1 cup black beans (recipe, or use a can, rinsed and drained, heated)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 7 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (heated)
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.
- Brush the onion slices with oil and grill over medium heat, until the onions soften and get grill marks, about 6 minutes on each side.
- Turn the grill pan heat up to medium high. Take some slices of carne asada and place them on the grill pan. Cook about 1 minute per side. The smaller pieces in the package can be turned over almost immediately and they are done within a minute. Let the meat sit for a few minutes before slicing it.
- Place the 6 corn tortillas on a couple cookie sheets and divide the Monterey Jack cheese among them. Place in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes. The cheese should be completely melted. Take the cookie sheets out of the oven and place the carne asada, grilled onions, tomatoes, black beans, cilantro, and drizzle with a little adobo sauce on top. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and enjoy!