Carnaval Empanadas (Casadielles)El invitado de invierno
Casadielles are a typical dessert in the autonomous region of Asturias in northern Spain and are often eaten around the time of Mardi Gras, or Carnaval in Spanish. Typically flavored with Anis del Mono or wine, the casadielles are a pastry stuffed toasted nuts and sugar that is then fried. Make your own sweet casadielles with this recipe for Carnaval Empanadas. Made from a mixture of wheat and spelt flour, the pastry dough is flavored with a sweet white wine and stuffed with a mixture of anise liqueur, chopped nuts, and sugar then fried until golden and crispy.
- 150 grams nuts (minced)
- 90 grams sugar
- 40 grams liqueur (anisette)
- 30 grams milk
- 120 grams butter (melted)
- 250 grams white wine
- 1 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 400 grams pastry flour
- 100 grams spelt flour (white)
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- 1Mix together the nuts, sugar, liqueur, and milk. A soft mixture should form but not one that seeps liquid. If that happens, add a little more nuts or sugar.
- 2The next day, start by making the dough. Whisk together the butter, wine, and egg yolk.
- 3Separately, whisk together the salt, baking powder, and flours.
- 4Either by hand or in a food processor, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until a soft, sticky dough forms. Cover and let sit 30 minutes.
- 5On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out to 2 millimeter thickness. Cut 10-centimeter wide strips.
- 6Take spoonfuls of the filling and roll it out to about 9 centimeter. Place it on the narrow end of the strip of dough leaving space at the bottom.
- 7Starting at the bottom, fold the dough up over the filling. Roll it over twice and cut the strip off. Wet the edge of the steam and press the dough together to seal.
- 8Seal the ends with a fork and set the empanadas on a floured cloth or surface. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
- 9Heat up 2 fingers of oil in a heavy skillet. The oil should be very hot, but not smoking yet. Fry the empanadas until golden.
- 10Remove to drain on paper towels and once cooled a bit, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories350Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.