- 1 tablespoon seasoning (Dunns River Caribbean, 8p, 3 x 100g for £2, Tesco)
- 200 grams mushrooms (42p, 85p/400g, Sainsburys Basics)
- peppers (a handful of frozen, or 1 fresh one of any colour, 15p, £1.50/1kg, Sainsburys)
- 400 grams kidney beans (30p, 30p/400g, Sainsburys Basics)
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup (1p, 45p/460g, Sainsburys Basics)
- 100 grams frozen spinach (15p, £1.50/1kg, Sainsburys)
- 2 cayenne pepper (or chilli flakes, <1p, 80p/100g, Natco or KTC brand)
|Calories130Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Kennedy 30 days ago
This dish turned out amazing! I did not use Caribbean seasoning because I did not have any on hand so I substituted a a hot chili packet with Caribbean seasoning instead. The meal came out fantastic! Next time I will hunt down the chili packet and seasoning this recipe calls for lol.
Stephanie P. 20 Aug 2018
Turned out pretty good and different than the usual as it’s a great substitute for going vegan.
Marsman 18 Jun 2018
i loved it, boyfriend didn't so much but only because there was nothing meatlike in it (still trying to get him there)
Nora F. 13 May 2018
FANTASTIC recipe. I added some minced garlic and some dried minced onion, plus a couple big handfuls of fresh spinach in the last minute of cooking instead of the frozen. Fast, easy, and enough for two good-sized bowls.
Veronica 26 Mar 2018
The dish was truly amazing!
Jazzye 27 Feb 2018
It was great! I made it for my wife and I last night. Instead of carribean seasoning, I substituted with creole and Cajun seasoning w/ a hint of cayenne pepper for taste. I used minced garlic and a small amount of sautéed chopped onions for seasoning the mushrooms and bell peppers. Added the spinach and beans last so that while waiting for the sauce to thicken, the beans wouldn’t go soft . One last thing. Instead of regular ketchup, I used buffalo ketchup . ( we like spicy foods) served over rice . My wife loved it !
Sniegoski 23 Feb 2018
Couldn’t find Caribbean spices. Substituted Cajun. Served over brown rice
Lyall 20 Feb 2018
Quick and easy recipe with good flavor and balance.
Mia.anie 10 Feb 2018
Vegan comfort food. Added extra ketchup and sautéed onions. Poured over a bed of rice garnished with cilantro and a drizzle of sour cream. Using a true Caribbean spice is key. Would make again.
Simon Koekkoek 30 Jan 2018
Cooked with a friend. though we didnt find caribbean spices, it worked for us! Shes cooking it again tonight ;)
Gavi 1 Jan 2018
It turned out not working for me 😕
Stephanie 17 Dec 2017
I didnt care for the ckmbination of spices. I missed the carribean spice note so I used the spices mentioned as a substitute. I was not impressed. I also served ours with quiona instead of rice.