The seafood is steamed separately in a seasoned broth so it remains tender. Try adding any favorite, fresh seafood for your own unique recipe.
- 4 ounces shrimp (fresh, 36 to 40 count)
- 1 pound white fish (firm, dense, such as snapper OR cod)
- 8 ounces mussels (cleaned and tightly closed)
- 8 ounces clams (cleaned and tightly closed)
- 1 teaspoon sazon seasoning (with annatto)
- 2 Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Chicken Flavor Bouillon Packets
- 4 teaspoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 4 cups tap water
- 1 Spice Islands Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil
- 1 1/2 cups arborio (uncooked, medium grain rice such as Valencia OR, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup sofrito (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups diced bell pepper (red, yellow and/or green)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup portuguese chorizo (sliced cured mild Spanish OR, such as Linguica OR diced smoked ham)
- 1/2 teaspoon sazon seasoning
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Spice Islands Cilantro (Fresh)
- lemon wedges (Fresh)
- Clean shrimp and fish thoroughly and pat dry using paper towels. Keep mussels and clams on ice until ready to cook. Place shrimp and fish on a large plate; sprinkle with sazon seasoning and set aside.
- Stir bouillon into hot water to make broth; add bay leaf and set aside.
- Heat oil in a very large, deep-sided skillet over medium high heat. Add rice and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until rice just begins to brown. Add sofrito, peppers, tomato paste, chorizo and sazon. Stir to combine and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
- Pour 3 cups of the prepared broth into rice mixture and bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Combine the remaining broth with shrimp and fish in a deep-sided skillet over medium heat. Steam the shrimp and fish for 5 to 7 minutes or until almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside. Add mussels and clams to the pan with remaining broth, cover tightly and steam for 7 to 10 minutes or until fully opened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When rice is ready, spoon cooked seafood and any remaining broth over the top and sprinkle with frozen peas; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Prior to serving, remove and discard bay leaf, fluff rice with a fork and garnish with cilantro or parsley and fresh lemon wedges; serve immediately.