From an amazing combination of cake and curd comes this unique Caribbean Flan. Concentrated sweetened milk blended with milk and eggs creates a thick creamy base to which freshly grated tropical coconut is added. Liquid caramel acts as a sweetener that gives the flan a somewhat chewy consistency. It’s perfectly simple to make and takes 1 hour to bake in the oven, but it tastes like a weekend getaway to the Caribbean.
- condensed milk (sweetened or unsweetened)
- milk (25 cl.)
- 3 eggs (separated)
- grated coconut
- artificial sweetener (optional)
- 11. Preheat the oven to 300F.
- 22. Combine the condensed milk, milk, egg yolks, and grated coconut in a bowl. If using unsweetened condensed milk, add a bit of artificial sweetener.
- 33. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the previous mixture.
- 44. Coat the bottom of your mold with caramel and pour the egg mixture over it.
- 55. Bake in the oven in a bain-marie for 1 hour.
- 66. Remove the mold from the bain-marie and let cool before unmolding and serving.