- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (coarsely)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons margarine (diced)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 50 grams margarine (melted and cooled)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Grease a round cake pan.
- Line cake pan with parchment paper extending over the edges, so that cake can be removed from pan without inverting.
- For the crumble, in a bowl, add all the crumble ingredients.
- Use fingertips or a pastry blender to combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- For the cake, in a bowl, add sugar and orange zest.
- Use fingers or a fork to rub mixture until the sugar becomes damp.
- Mix orange sugar with flour, baking powder and cardamom.
- In another bowl, mix margarine, eggs, milk and orange juice.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and cover with crumble mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.