This spectacular sweet is a flavorful spin on upside down cake. The cake is spiced with ground ginger and cinnamon and has a molasses flavor from the dark brown sugar. It's wonderfully tender thanks to the butter and eggs, too. But what sets this cake apart from the crowd is the caramel that's also made from butter and sugar and which lines the bottom of the pan, and then the sliced bananas that are fanned out on top of that before the batter is added.
- 90 grams brown sugar
- 90 grams dark brown sugar
- 150 grams unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 180 grams self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 50 grams butter
- 50 grams sugar
- 2 bananas
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- For the cake, in a bowl, mix sugar with butter.
- When dough is soft and creamy, add eggs one by one and mix well after each.
- Add vanilla, flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and baking soda.
- Set aside.
- For the caramel, melt butter in a frying pan.
- Add sugar and stir until caramel is golden in color.
- Pour caramel in the bottom of pie pan and coat pan.
- Arrange sliced bananas in an even layer on the bottom of the pan and add cake batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes and carefully remove from pan.
- Tip: When using a silicone pan, always remove from oven at least 5 minutes prior to the allotted cooking time.
PER SERVING *
|Calories870Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.