Caramel, nuts, and chocolate chips baked in oatmeal cookie dough. Meet your new favorite dessert bar!
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 4 ounces finely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 3 ounces salted caramel sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the softened butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute, or until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat on medium speed for 30 seconds to one minute, until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Beat the mixture on medium speed for about 1 minute, until all ingredients are combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, as needed.
- Press roughly half of the dough into the baking pan. Use a rubber spatula or clean hands to press the dough into an even layer.
- Transfer the baking pan to the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly puffy.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and chopped nuts evenly over the par-baked dough. Pour the caramel sauce over the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop the remaining cookie dough by the spoonful on top of the caramel sauce, and gently flatten it with clean hands.
- Transfer the baking pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the caramelita for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown at the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven. Allow the caramelita to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes, then transfer the pan to the refrigerator. Refrigerate the caramelita for at least one hour.
- Remove the baking pan from the refrigerator. Lift up on the sides on the parchment paper to transfer the caramelita from the pan to a cutting board. Slice into squares and serve.