Caramel Squares or "Millionaire's Shortbread"Casseroles et claviers
This dessert is the perfect combination of flavors and textures. With crisp, buttery shortbread, sweet, sticky caramel, and rich, dense chocolate these are delectable and satisfying treat. Through a little labor-intensive, these bars are well worth it. These make a great treat to bring along to a dinner party or celebration, but to be honest they are great just on a Friday night for a special treat.
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 150 grams butter (softened)
- 120 milliliters condensed milk (sweet)
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey (such as acacia)
- 200 grams milk chocolate
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar and butter with your fingertips. You must obtain the consistency of a "pâte sablee", a "sandy dough". In a buttered dish, preferably rectangular, pour in this mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Let it cool.
- 3In a saucepan, mix the condensed milk, the brown sugar, and the honey and boil. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove the caramel from heat and mix with a spoon: the mixture should be thickened. Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and put it in the refrigerator once the caramel has cooled.
- 4Melt the milk chocolate in a double boiler and pour it over the caramel.
- 5Once the chocolate has hardened , cut the preparation in squares.
- 6It should be eaten at room temperature if you prefer a melting caramel, or chilled for a harder caramel.
PER SERVING *
|Calories960Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.