Caramel Pudding and CoffeeO Meu Tempero
Fancy, sure, but not difficult to achieve. Making caramel is as simple as cooking sugar and water over moderate heat, swirling the pan (avoid stirring) to dissolve the sugar and to color the mixture evenly. Just be sure to take it off the heat as soon as it is light golden. When adding the caramel to the pudding, do so gradually while whisking. The rest of the caramel is used to make the desired shapes on a piece of parchment, dripping it with a spoon.
- 1 liter milk
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 60 grams corn starch
- 100 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1For the caramel, heat sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Continuously shake saucepan until sugar is melted and golden.
- 2Set aside some caramel for garnish.
- 3Heat 900 ml (approximately 30 ounces) milk and instant coffee in a pan and bring to a boil. Whisk milk mixture into caramel a little at a time.
- 4In a small container, whisk remaining 100 ml cold milk (approximately 3 ounces) and cornstarch.
- 5Stir cornstarch mixture into caramel mixture.
- 6Heat for about 3 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- 7Rinse ramekins (or 1 large dish) in cold water.
- 8Pour caramel mixture into desired serving container or containers.
- 9Cool and refrigerate until set.
- 10Decorate with caramel in different shapes, as desired.
- 11Use spoons to pour caramel on parchment paper, creating decorative shapes.
- 12After cooling, caramel detaches easily from parchment paper.