Caprese TowerSobre Dulce y Salado
Featuring caramelized tomatoes and onions, this extravagant yet simple Caprese Tower recipe is full of robust, savory flavor. Layering thin slices of toasted bread with caramelized onions and tomatoes, this Caprese Tower is completed with the addition of fresh mozzarella cheese, pesto, arugula, and spinach for a deconstructed caprese bruschetta salad that will have your tastebuds dancing with delight. We recommend using a red pesto, but you can also use a green pesto with satisfactory results.
- olive oil
- 12 sliced bread (thin)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (sliced into quarters)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced into strips)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce (or green pesto sauce)
- 125 grams mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 8 rocket leaves (sliced)
- 1 spinach leaves (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Pour a dash of olive oil over the bread slices and bake them for 10 minutes, until they become crispy. Then remove them from the oven.
- 3Heat a skillet with a dash of olive oil at medium flame, then add the cherry tomato, onion, sugar, honey, and balsamic vinegar. Stir occasionally until the ingredients are absorbed, then turn off the stove and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Place a tablespoon of pesto sauce on each plate, then 3 layers of bread on top.
- 5Place the onions and cherry tomatoes over the bread, then 3 more layers of bread on top.
- 6Place the mozzarella cheese, arugula, spinach, and pesto sauce over the bread.
- 7Pour the lime juice on top and serve.