This can be assembled in just a few minutes at the party. Wonderful when at the peak of the summer when herbs and tomatoes are plentiful. Goes well with grilled pork chops or pork burgers.
- 1 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes (OR vine-ripened)
- 2 cheese (balls buffalo, fresh OR while milk mozzarella, about 14 oz total)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (coarse OR kosher salt)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 1/3 cup basil leaves (lightly packed fresh, finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (aged, optional)
- black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- Cut tomatoes and mozzarella into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange tomato and mozzarella slices, overlapping slightly, on large platter. Sprinkle with salt; season to taste with pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, if desired. Sprinkle with basil and serve.