Cannelloni with Spinach and Sundried TomatoesKitchenAid
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onions (small, chopped fine)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 14 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken (shredded)
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- 16 fresh pasta (by 4, rectangles)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (fresh)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1Place all ingredients into mixing bowl of KitchenAid® Pro Line® 7-Quart Stand Mixer. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Set mixer to stir speed and mix for 1 minute. Increase speed to 2 and continue mixing until a smooth and elastic ball begins to form. Remove dough from bowl and wrap with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rest for 1 hour before rolling out with pasta roller.
- 2Separate dough into 4 equal sized rectangular pieces. Attach pasta roller to stand mixer and feed one pasta rectangle through the roller on setting. Fold dough in half and feed through again on setting Increase to setting 2 and feed pasta sheet through again. Continue to increase the setting and feed the pasta sheet through until reaching setting Place pasta sheet onto parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap to prevent pasta from drying. Repeat process with the remaining dough.
- 3Use a very sharp knife to cut pasta sheets into 6 by 4 inch rectangles. Proceed with the following recipe as indicated.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan set over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until they are just beginning to brown. Add in garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 5Add spinach leaves in 2 batches, cooking each batch until wilted, then add chicken and tomatoes and stir until just heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and place mixture into mixing bowl. Cool to room temperature. Add ricotta, egg, and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese to mixing bowl and attach bowl and flat beater to the mixer. Mix on stir speed until all ingredients are evenly combined, 30 seconds to a minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and prepare the white sauce.
- 6Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and cook roux for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk in a slow stream, stirring constantly with a wire whisk and boil over high heat until sauce begins to thicken, 15-20 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, then whisk in 1 1/2 cups of the Parmesan cheese and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. Prepare pasta sheets.
- 7Cook pasta sheets, 2 sheets at a time, for 3-4 minutes in a large pot of generously salted boiling water. Remove from pot and place into a bowl of cold water to stop cooking process. Dry thoroughly on clean kitchen towels.
- 8Preheat oven to 425 degrees and assemble cannelloni. Spray 2-9 inch baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray and spread 1 cup of sauce onto the bottom of each pan. Lay out pasta rectangles so that the longer side is horizontal, and place 1/3 cup of the filling across the bottom end of each. Rolleach one up and place, seam side down into the baking dishes.
- 9Evenly pour the remaining sauce over each dish of cannelloni and sprinkle each with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then broil for the last 4-5 until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.