Candy Cane Chocolate CookiesKooking
These chocolate cookies are perfect for the holidays when you have an abundance of candy canes. The dark chocolate and the peppermint flavor from the candy canes are the perfect combination to create the perfect treat for gifting, bringing to a gathering, or simply enjoying with a cold glass of milk at the end of a long winter day. The creamy frosting makes for a nice contrast to the chewy chocolate cookies.
- 250 grams flour
- 80 grams cocoa powder (pure)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30 grams grated chocolate (coarsely)
- 180 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 125 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 60 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- candy canes (crushed, pieces)
- 1For the cookies, mix flour, cocoa powder, grated chocolate, coffee and salt.
- 2Set aside.
- 3In another bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
- 4When mixture is creamy, gradually add flour mixture until smooth.
- 5Use plastic wrap to roll dough into a cylinder, approximately 2.5 cm (approximately 1 inch) diameter.
- 6Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- 7Preheat oven to 170°C (approximately 340°F).
- 8Line baking tray with parchment paper (or a non-stick silicone baking mat).
- 9Working quickly, cut chilled dough into thin discs, each about 5 mm (approximately 1/4 inch) thick.
- 10Bake for about 12 minutes.
- 11Let rest in pan for a 1-2 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- 12For the topping, beat butter, powdered sugar and cream to form thick frosting.
- 13Spread frosting over each cookie and garnish with candy cane pieces.