These chocolate cookies are perfect for the holidays when you have an abundance of candy canes. The dark chocolate and the peppermint flavor from the candy canes are the perfect combination to create the perfect treat for gifting, bringing to a gathering, or simply enjoying with a cold glass of milk at the end of a long winter day. The creamy frosting makes for a nice contrast to the chewy chocolate cookies.
- 250 grams flour
- 80 grams cocoa powder (pure)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30 grams grated chocolate (coarsely)
- 180 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 125 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 60 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- candy canes (crushed, pieces)
- For the cookies, mix flour, cocoa powder, grated chocolate, coffee and salt.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
- When mixture is creamy, gradually add flour mixture until smooth.
- Use plastic wrap to roll dough into a cylinder, approximately 2.5 cm (approximately 1 inch) diameter.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 170°C (approximately 340°F).
- Line baking tray with parchment paper (or a non-stick silicone baking mat).
- Working quickly, cut chilled dough into thin discs, each about 5 mm (approximately 1/4 inch) thick.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Let rest in pan for a 1-2 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping, beat butter, powdered sugar and cream to form thick frosting.
- Spread frosting over each cookie and garnish with candy cane pieces.