What is more fun than food you can eat with your hands? Fried delicious sheets of dough covering a sweet and savory filling of camembert, onion, and leeks. Crunch your teeth into a fried outer layer of buttered thin sheets of dough, bursting with a thick filling of vegetables and creamy camembert. Pat the finished cigar style snacks by patting dry with a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Not only does that process make them a little bit healthier, but it also keeps the outsides crispy.
- 2 leeks
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- filo pastry
- 1/2 camembert cheese
- oil (for frying)
- Cut the leeks into thin slices and the onion into small chunks.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet, add the leeks and onion, and cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat until the water evaporates.
- Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut 1/2 of the camembert cheese in small pieces.
- Detach the sheets of pastry and cut in 4.
- Place the wide side of the sheet in front of you, and place some cheese and leeks on the dough nearest you.
- Fold the edges and roll to form a cigar.
- Dip the ends of the cigars in egg white to seal the dough.
- Fry the cigars in a pan of hot oil. Don't allow the oil to smoke.
- Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to remove excess grease.