Cajun Seafood and Andouille Sausage GumboFoodista
2 bay leaves (left whole)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 jalapeno chilies (seeded)
1 orange bell pepper (or red, chopped coarse)
3 stalks celery (cut into 1 inch pieces)
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup white flour
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
3 cups fish stock (or clam juice)
9 ounces andouille sausage (cut into ½ inch rounds)
8 ounces medium shrimp (shelled with tails on)
10 ounces oysters (or 8-10 oysters with their juices)
1/2 crab meat (# canned or fresh)
2 cups white rice (cooked, washed and drained)
Discover more recipes from Foodista
11. In a small bowl, combine the seasoning ingredients and set aside.
22. In a medium bowl, combine the onions, peppers and celeryand set aside.
33. In a lightly oiled 5 ½ quart Dutch oven, brown the sausage rounds over medium high heat and set aside.
44. Add the ½ C oil and when it starts to smoke, slowly combine the flour and cook while whisking until the roux reaches a dark reddish brown color.
55. Immediately add half of the vegetables and stir in for 1 minute. Then add the remaining vegetables, mix thoroughly and cook for 2 more minutes.
66. Add the seasoning mix, stir in well and cook 2 more minutes or so. Then add the garlic, stir in and cook for another minute.
77. Add the fish stock or clam juice and, mix well, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer; then simmer this for about 30 minutes covered.
88. Add the reserved browned sausage rounds, the crab, shrimps and oysters with their liquid and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
PER SERVING *
|Calories980Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.