- 2 bay leaves (left whole)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 jalapeno chilies (seeded)
- 1 orange bell pepper (or red, chopped coarse)
- 3 stalks celery (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 cups fish stock (or clam juice)
- 9 ounces andouille sausage (cut into ½ inch rounds)
- 8 ounces medium shrimp (shelled with tails on)
- 10 ounces oysters (or 8-10 oysters with their juices)
- 1/2 crab meat (# canned or fresh)
- 2 cups white rice (cooked, washed and drained)
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the onions, peppers and celeryand set aside.
- 3. In a lightly oiled 5 ½ quart Dutch oven, brown the sausage rounds over medium high heat and set aside.
- 4. Add the ½ C oil and when it starts to smoke, slowly combine the flour and cook while whisking until the roux reaches a dark reddish brown color.
- 5. Immediately add half of the vegetables and stir in for 1 minute. Then add the remaining vegetables, mix thoroughly and cook for 2 more minutes.
- 6. Add the seasoning mix, stir in well and cook 2 more minutes or so. Then add the garlic, stir in and cook for another minute.
- 7. Add the fish stock or clam juice and, mix well, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer; then simmer this for about 30 minutes covered.
- 8. Add the reserved browned sausage rounds, the crab, shrimps and oysters with their liquid and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
PER SERVING *
|Calories980Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.