Slow cooker makes jambalaya a snap. Be sure to check the last hour or two to keep the rice from overcooking.
- 1 pound boneless pork loin roast (cut into 1/2-inch cubes, lean)
- 12 ounces andouille sausage (cut into 1/4-inch slices)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups rice (medium-grain white)
- 2 yellow onions (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (green, red, or both, chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions (chopped)
- Mix all ingredients except green onions in slow 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Watch carefully during the last 1 hour (low) or 1/2 hour (high) of cooking to prevent rice from overcooking.
- Just before serving, check seasoning and add green onions.