- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound chicken gizzards
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (or bacon drippings)
- 2 yellow onions (mediums, chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 green pepper (large, seeded and chopped)
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound bulk italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 2 cups long-grain rice (uncooked)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- Heat chicken stock in a 12-qt. pot and add gizzards and livers along with salt, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Cover and lightly boil for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime chop all the vegetables. Heat a large frying pan, add oil or bacon drippings and saute onion, garlic, green pepper and celery. Remove from pan. Add ground pork and sausage to same pan and saute until lightly browned.
- Drain meat in a colander and discard fat. Remove livers and gizzards from the stock, reserving stock. Cool them for a moment and coarsely grind in meat grinder or food processor. Add gizzards and livers, along with browned meats, to the vegetables. Place all in a large pot and add 1/2 c. reserved chicken stock. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Meanwhile, using 4 c. of reserved stock, cook the rice. Add cooked rice to completed vegetables and meat; gently stir in green onions and parsley. Taste for salt and pepper and serve.
|Calories1310Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.