- 8 boneless chicken breast
- 1 fresh chives
- cooking oil (as needed)
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
- chile sauce (or your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- Rinse the chicken, pat dry, cover and refrigerate. Chop the chives and set aside. Set aside the oil if grilling.
- Combine all the dry rub ingredients. Rub the chicken with the dry rub on both sides, cover and refrigerate.
- Cut each tomato into 3 equal slices; place 4 inches below the heat source of a preheated broiler and broil until brown on both sides, or grill the tomatoes. Chop the tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes with the remaining sauce ingredients and refrigerate. All advance preparation may be completed up to 8 hours before you begin the final steps.
- Just before cooking, remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
- To Grill: If using a gas or electric grill, preheat to medium (350 degrees). If using charcoal or wood, prepare a fire. When the gas or electric grill is preheated or the coals or wood are ash-covered, brush the cooking rack with the oil. Lay the chicken, skin-side down, in the center of the rack. Regulate the heat so that it remains at a medium temperature. Grill the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. The chicken is done when it just loses its pink interior color (cut into a piece).
- To Smoke: Bring chicken to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 200 to 220 degrees. Transfer the chickens to the smoker and cook for about 30 minutes. The chicken is done when the meat feels firm and just loses its pink interior color.
- To Serve: When the chicken is nearly done, place a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and garlic. When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil and cook until it thickens enough to lightly coat a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a heated serving platter or heated dinner plates. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with the chives, and serve at once.
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.