- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 onions (peeled and diced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 roll bread (stale, soaked in cold water, crust removed)
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces long grain rice
- paprika (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 15 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 pinch sugar
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling salted water. Mix ground beef, 1/2 the onion, garlic, bread, egg and rice in a bowl. Season and add paprika, to taste. Distribute between cabbage leaves, roll up and tie with butcher's twine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add remaining onion and sauté for 4 mins. Deglaze pan with tomatoes and stock, bring to a boil, add sugar and thyme and season. Reduce heat, add stuffed cabbage, cover and simmer for 45 mins. Serve garnished with thyme.