- 10 cabbage leaves (halved, ribs removed)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 onions (medium, finely chopped)
- 5 1/4 ounces long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (chopped, plus extra to serve)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- lemon wedges (to serve)
- Cook cabbage leaves in boiling salted water for 10 mins, until soft. Drain then let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef, onions, rice, herbs and garlic. Season. Place cabbage leaves on a flat work surface and spoon a heaped tablespoon of filling along base of each leaf, leaving space on the sides. Fold in sides and roll up tightly. Squeeze firmly to form a log.
- Pack rolls closely together, seam-side down, in a wide, shallow pan with a lid. Whisk together tomato paste and 2 cups water. Pour over rolls. Dot with butter then cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 40 mins, until cooked through.
- Transfer rolls to a serving plate. Drizzle with cooking juices, sprinkle with extra parsley and serve with lemon wedges.