- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion (large, chopped, 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 large carrots (chopped, 1 1/4 cups)
- 5 cups cabbage (packed chopped, 16 - 19 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 29 ounces beef broth (low-sodium)
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 29 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 1/2 tsp chopped fresh)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
PER SERVING *
|Calories320Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Carol L. 7 Jan
Love this soup! It reminds me of my Mom's Lazy Cabbage Rolls from when I was a kid, but I think I might like this even better. Hearty and just a touch of sweetness, and great for a cold winter's day.
Bruce Becker 9 Nov 2017
It's ok. Doesn't really remind of cabbage rolls, though. Cabbage needs to be added earlier - it didn't get soft enough for my taste. Would probably add it to the ground beef early on. I did not find it necessary to drain the beef fat.
Lisa DeFeo 29 Oct 2016
This soup was delicious and made enough to feed a crowd on a budget. I made a few minor alterations based on some previous reviews stating the soup tasted too much like Italian tomato sauce. I left out the thyme and or oregano and simply used salt and pepper. In place of those spices I used Hungarian Hot Paprika! In addition, I didn't have beef broth so I used vegetable broth. The result was delicious. I would also add that the beef could be reduced to one pound, as the soup was very meaty.
Karey C. 19 May 2016
I will try another recipe next time. The seasonings made it taste too much like an Italian pasta sauce. Not for me.