In this recipe, julienned cabbage is first sauteed until tender, then quickly stir-fried with garlic for added flavor before mixing with the sausage meat, black-eyed peas, and cornbread (a veritable Southern classic trio if there ever was one), the cornbread providing the "crumbs" in the dish. You can use any type of cooked sausage besides the game variety called for here, and other types of beans, and even baked beans.
- kale (or cabbage)
- olive oil (or peanut oil)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 sausage (game)
- 2 tablespoons black eyed peas (baked)
- 2 slices cornbread
- Julienne the cabbage
- Heat the the wok on the stove. When it is very hot, add a trickle of peanut oil.
- Saute the cabbage for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cabbage from the wok, and set aside.
- Add the chopped garlic and fry until it begins to release its aroma.
- Add the cabbage again.
- Remove the skin from the sausage and mash the meat with a fork. Add it to the cabbage. Add the beans and crumbled bread.
- Mix well and serve.