Butternut, Cranberry, and Pecan Sweet StrudelOn dine chez Nanou
Thick, savory, mellow Winter strudel. Phyllo pastry creates thin flaky layers that wrap around the dense, fully-packed filling that is overflowing with nutty, buttery flavors of Autumn and Winter. Not only do the pecans offer texture, breaking up the smooth texture, but also an element of salt. For added sweetness drizzle a honey glaze over the pastry immediately after removing from the over.
- 1 kilogram butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 140 grams brown sugar
- 100 grams bread crumbs
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 100 grams dried cranberries
- 50 grams pecans
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 40 grams butter
- 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 2Bake the unpeeled butternut cut in thick slices, and drizzled with olive oil.
- 3When the butternut is tender, after about 45 minutes, spoon out the inside, place in the food processor, and mix to a puree.
- 4Add the egg, cinnamon, brown sugar, breadcrumbs, and almonds. Mix to a homogeneous mixture.
- 5Add the cranberries and pecan nuts coarsely chopped (keep 8 for decoration).
- 6Lower the oven temperature to 160 C.
- 7Melt the butter, using a brush coat each sheet of filo, and arrange them in layers.
- 8Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 9Spoon filling along short side of filo rectangle, beginning 2 centimeters in from short side, and leaving a 4 centimeter border on the ends. Fold the ends, then begin to roll the sheets. Rub them with a little bit of melted butter, and bake for 45 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven, and glaze with a little bit of melted honey and almond halves.
- 11Wait for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- 12Serve with a little bit of whipped cream with a hint of cinnamon, or vanilla ice cream.
PER SERVING *
|Calories510Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.