Butternut Squash and Chestnut SoupEl invitado de invierno
Warm and savory, this Butternut Squash and Chestnut Soup makes a great wintertime lunch or dinner entree, especially when served with plenty of crusty bread for dipping. Simmered in port or moscato wine, the chestnuts provide a sweet nuttiness to this roasted butternut squash soup. Seasoned with sauteed onions and nutmeg, the soup is blended until smooth and creamy. Serve with bacon crumbles for a savory topping, or leave out if you want to keep this dish vegetarian and vegan friendly.
- 250 grams chestnuts (dried, peeled)
- 1/2 kilogram butternut squash (halved)
- olive oil
- 1 onions (large, chopped)
- 8 ounces wine (sweet, like port or moscato)
- 1 liter water (or chicken or vegetable stock)
- ground nutmeg
- 4 bacon (strips, fried and crumbled, optional)
- 1The night before, cover the dried chestnuts with water to rehydrate.
- 2The next day, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 3Baste the squash with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes.
- 4While the squash roasts, simmer the drained chestnuts in the wine.
- 5Separately, drizzle some olive oil in a skillet and saute the onions until tender.
- 6Once the squash is tender, peel it, cube it, and add it to the pot with the chestnuts. Follow by adding in the onions.
- 7Pour in the liter of liquid and continue to simmer until the chestnuts are tender. Add a pinch of nutmeg and salt to taste.
- 8Blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Check for salt again. If the mixture is too thick, whisk in some water.
- 9Optionally, serve the soup with the bacon crumbles on top.
PER SERVING *
|Calories340Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.