- 1 butternut squash (small, about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (cinnamon, or ginger)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 2 flour (+ cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 shallots (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- fresh thyme leaves (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut the squach in half. Remove the seeds and lay on a oiled, rimmed baking sheets. Roast the squash until soft—30-40 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh of the squash out and place it in the food processor. Puree until completely smooth.
- Mix the pureed squash with Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper and eggs. Then add the flour into the mixture and work together by hand. It will be very sticky.
- Once smooth, flour a work surface and a large piece of parchment paper. Flour your hands and grab a handful of dough. Roll into a long strip, about ½ inch wide. Cut the strip into ½ pieces.
- This is the tricky part~ Place each piece in the palm of your hand (or on the cutting board) and gently roll with a fork to create ridges. Place each piece on the floured parchment paper and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil half the gnocchi, then remove and repeat. With each batch, boil until all the gnocchi floats—about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and flour, whisk until smooth.
- Then add the shallots and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Then add the bourbon and chicken stock.
- Whisk and raise heat. Bring the sauce to a boil. Allow the sauce to reduce down to a thin gravy-like consistency. Then lower the heat to medium-low and add the cream. Salt and pepper to taste—usually about 1 tsp. of salt.
- Once the gnocchi are finished cooking, remove them with a skimmer and place them directly into the cream sauce. Stir to coat.
- Serve the gnocchi warm and garnish with fresh thyme leaves! Serves 4.
- If the cream sauce thickens too much, add a little water from the gnocchi pot to thin it out!
|Calories550Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.