Made with creamy buttermilk, this simple white sheet cake is perfectly moist and refreshing, perfect for any celebration or occasion. A thick lightly lemon flavored frosting spread over the top of this white buttermilk sheet cake adds a hint of citrus tang to this sweet, airy cake. This cake makes an elegant addition to a spring party, bridal shower, or baby shower and is ready in just over an hour.
- 125 grams butter (room temperature)
- 350 grams sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 450 grams flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 250 milliliters buttermilk
- 200 grams powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Coat a 24- by 24-centimeter cake pan with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until lighter in color. While continuing to beat, add the egg whites one by one.
- Separately, sift together the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Add this dry mixture to the butter mixture and combine well.
- Add the buttermilk little by little until well incorporated. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake about 40 minutes. Carefully check the oven as you do not want the cake very golden, but rather white.
- For the frosting, stir the fruit juice 1 tablespoon at a time into the powdered sugar until a thick frosting has formed. Frost the cake and serve.
|Calories1230Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.