Bruschetta makes a great appetizer when entertaining. This simple version comes together quickly, for an easy snack. Fresh tomatoes are sliced and arranged on top of toasted bread, then topped with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil for the perfect bite. Make these in the summer, when tomatoes and basil are at their freshest. Rubbing the bread with garlic after it has been toasted helps give the whole thing a little bit of garlic flavor without it overwhelming the other ingredients.
- 1 slice rye bread
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 olive oil (drizzle of)
- 1 tablespoon mozzarella
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- Cut the tomatoes into slices.
- Put slices of bread in a pan and heat in the hot oven for 3 minutes just to brown, without toasting.
- Remove the pan from the oven and rub the garlic cloves in the bread. Drizzle olive oil over the bread and top with the sliced tomato. Season with a pinch of salt and top with the mozzarella.
- Bake to melt and slightly brown the cheese. Top with chopped basil.
- Serve right away with a glass of ginger tea.