The key to any bruschetta is to use a sturdy, good quality bread that can hold up to the toppings. Toasting the bread is also essential (otherise it just become a soggy mess), preferably after brushing with olive oil. Here the toasted bread slices are piled high with a sprightly mix of fresh tomatoes and cucumber that's been tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired.
- 2 tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 cucumber
- 4 slices bread (preferably Alentejo)
- olive oil (to taste)
- oregano (to taste)
- balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the bread slices (1 finger height) and brush with olive oil and oregano.
- Bake, grill or toaster on the stove until it is fully toasted.
- Cut the tomatoes, cucumber into small pieces and season with salt, olive oil and vinegar.
- Marinate a bit and you can serve it over the slices still warm.
- Sprinkled with cheese which gave it a very pleasant taste.