Brunswick StewEl invitado de invierno
Brunswick Stew is a traditional dish of the American South. Make your own version of this hearty stew at home with this recipe for Brunswick Stew. Made with a blend of rabbit, chicken, and pancetta, this savory meat stew also includes a host of vegetables such as celery, carrots, onion, tomatoes and corn. Potatoes lend their soft texture and flavor to this stew that is seasoned with bay leaf, lime, and just a dash of hot sauce.
- 114 grams pancetta (cut into large dice)
- vegetable oil
- 2 chili peppers
- 1/2 kilogram rabbit (in pieces)
- 1 1/2 kilograms chicken (skinless)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- chicken broth (2 lt.)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 kilogram potatoes (in large pieces)
- 2 carrots (large, sliced)
- 2 onions (in wedges)
- 400 grams navy beans (cooked)
- 200 grams corn kernels
- 1 kilogram tomatoes (peeled, canned tomatoes may be used)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 lime
- hot sauce
- 1In a very large saucepan, fry the pancetta with two drops of vegetable oil on medium heat until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- 2In the oil from the pancetta, saute the chili peppers. Remove and set aside.
- 3Season the rabbit and chicken pieces with salt and saute in the same saucepan. Remove and set aside.
- 4Add 2 cups chicken broth to the saucepan. Reduce for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the rest of the chicken broth, rabbit, chicken, chili peppers, bay leaves, celery, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and lower the heat, stir occasionally and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Turn off the heat and place the rabbit and chicken pieces in a bowl. Let them cool and shred. Place back in the saucepan.
- 7Add the carrots and bring to a boil. Cook on low heat without a lid for 25 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- 8Add the onion, beans, corn kernels, and tomatoes. Continue to cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 9Turn off the heat and add the vinegar and lime juice. Taste for salt and add, if needed. Add hot sauce to taste.
- 10For richer taste, prepare one day before serving.