Baked Alaska is a tricky dish to master, but it will leave your family and guests in awe. A delicate layer of sponge cake made with brown butter is the base for this stunning and impressive dessert. A layer of ice cream (you can use whatever flavor you like) is then added to the cake and frozen overnight to set. The last element added to this dessert is meringue, which is briefly baked so it caramelizes for a beautiful finish.
- 68 grams butter
- 50 grams cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 28 grams brown sugar
- 18 grams refined sugar (white)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 45 grams egg whites
- cherry flavoring (optional)
- ice cream (softened, your flavor of choice)
- Melt the butter in a skillet and cook over medium heat until it turns dark brown, being careful not to burn it. Place in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes, until it begins to harden.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Separately, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator and beat using an electric mixer. Add the 2 sugars until fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla and continue to beat.
- Add the combined flour, baking soda, and salt. Do not overbeat.
- Pour into a small, round (16-centimeter diameter), greased and floured baking mold. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let it cool and unmold.
- Heat the sugar and water. Once it reaches 118 C, remove from the stove and pour into a bowl that contains the egg whites.
- Beat at high speed until the bowl is cool on the outside. Add flavoring to taste.
- Line a tall round mold with plastic wrap. Fill with ice cream.
- Cut out a circle of cake of the same diameter as the ice cream mold. Add the bread on top of the ice cream and freeze for 1 day.
- Unmold the bread and ice cream. Freeze again.
- Cover with a thick layer of the meringue. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 260 C.
- Bake for 3 minutes so the tips of the meringue are golden brown. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories410Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.