Even the pickiest eaters won't be able to resist this creamy broccoli gratin topped with crispy breadcrumbs!
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9” square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Chop the broccoli into 1” florets and place in a large pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the broccoli. Set the pot over high heat and place a lid on top. Bring to a boil. Boil the broccoli just until it turns bright green, about 1 minute. Drain the broccoli and rinse under cold water. Allow it to sit in the colander while preparing the sauce.
- Finely mince the garlic.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Sprinkle the flour into the pot. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes, until the roux turns slightly golden and begins to smell toasty.
- Slowly stream the milk into the pot while continuing to whisk. Cook the mixture, whisking steadily for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to thicken and bubble.
- Once bubbling, turn off the heat. Add a 1 cup of the shredded cheddar, 1/2 tsp. Of salt, ad black pepper, to taste, to the pot. Whisk slowly until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Once the sauce is smooth, add the broccoli to the pot. Stir until the florets are thoroughly coated.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the greased baking dish.
- Place the bread crumbs, parmesan, remaining cheddar cheese. ¼ tsp. salt, and black pepper, to taste, in a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a fork to combine. Add 4 Tablespoons of melted butter to the bowl, and stir until all the breadcrumbs are moistened. Sprinkle the crumbs in an even layer over the broccoli.
- Transfer the baking dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the gratin for 22-25 minutes, until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving.