- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled and cut in quarters)
- 1 stalk celery (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (fresh)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 10 cups broccoli (chopped, stems and florets)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In the chopper attachment bowl with blade of the KitchenAid® Pro Line® Cordless Hand Blender, place the onion and celery. Insert chopper adapter into motor body and lock adapter onto bowl. Chop on speed 4 for 5 seconds or until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add in the onions and celery. Sauté until vegetables are soft and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, dried and fresh thyme, parsley, salt, and peppers for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in the broccoli and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Pour in the milk, half and half, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat. Insert multi-purpose blade into motor body and blend soup at speed 2, moving blender up and down as necessary to pureé to a smooth consistency.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir until melted and incorporated.
- Tip: For a slightly sweeter soup, use 5 cups broccoli florets and 5 cups cauliflower florets instead of all broccoli.