This dish is just what you want to eat when the weather is dreary and cold. Sheets of pasta are stuffed with a delicate cheese mixture and cooked in a covering of tomato sauce for a truly comforting meal. This recipe gets some unexpected boosts of flavor from a bit of lemon zest in the cheese filling and star anise in the tomato sauce. Ready in under 40 minutes, this recipe is great for preparing for weeknight dinner.
- 800 grams tomato sauce
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 800 grams Brocciu (also known as Brousse. Ricotta can be used as substitute)
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon (untreated)
- 2 packets lasagne (fresh, sheets, 18 sheets, if you don't find it, take dried cannelloni)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saucepan, cook over low heat the tomato sauce with the star anise and the sugar (to correct the acidity of the tomato). Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, mash with a fork the bush with beaten eggs, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- If you use dried cannelloni, cook it according to the instructions on the package. Use a spoon to stuff the cannelloni with the Brocciu mixture.
- If you're using fresh lasagna, form a roll of stuffing on a sheet of lasagna at about 3cm from the edge. Roll the sheet to form a tube. Do the same with all the lasagna sheets. If you have excess stuffing, it's not lost ...
- In a baking dish, place a bit of tomato sauce on the bottom, making sure to remove the star anise.
- Arrange the cannelloni in a row in the dish, then cover it with sauce. If you have leftover stuffing, spread it on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with an arugula salad seasoned with olive oil and lemon juice.
PER SERVING *
|Calories150Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.