Breton Shortbread Cookies with Lemon Curd and ApricotsMurmures
Nothing pairs better with shortbread then freshly made lemon curd. These shortbread cookies are rich in flavor, made with brown sugar for a slight caramel flavor. Allow time for the dough to refrigerate before baking. The lemon curd can be made while you wait. Made with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, this curd is bursting with citrus flavor and has a creamy, smooth texture. Spread the curd on a shortbread cookie and enjoy!
- lemon curd
- 2 lemon (sieved juice)
- 1 lemon zest
- 100 grams sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 grams butter (diced)
- 90 grams butter (soft)
- 90 grams brown sugar
- 125 grams flour
- 1 egg yolks
- 2 grams salt
- 1Lemon Curd Preparation:
- 2Beat egg yolks (with no trace of egg whites), and pour into a saucepan.
- 3Add lemon juice and sugar.
- 4Over medium heat, stir for about ten minutes with a spatula until the mixture thickens slightly. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- 5Remove pan from heat and stir in the lemon zest and butter. Mix until the butter is completely melted.
- 6Optionally, add some orange or tangerine zest for aroma.
- 7Pour into a small glass container, cover when completely cooled. This lemon curd can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 15 days.
- 8Spread on toasted bread for breakfast or snack.
- 9Shortbread Cookie Preparation:
- 10Stir soft butter to creamy texture.
- 11Add sugar and salt and mix with a spatula.
- 12Once creamy, add the egg, and stir until well blended.
- 13Then gradually pour in flour and stir until the dough takes shape.
- 14Form a ball of dough, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 15Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 16Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- 17On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 5-6 millimeters thick. Cut out small shortbreads with a fluted pastry cutter.
- 18Place the shortbread cookies on baking pan, bake for about 14 minutes or a little less if softer cookies are preferred. They'll tend to harden after cooling.
- 19Cool on an elevated cookie rack.
- 20To serve, spread lemon curd on cookies and top off with slices of sweet, ripe, apricot.
- 22Halfway through the baking process, double the baking sheet so the shortbread cookies don't blacken underneath.
- 23The cookies should be lightly browned, but will harden while cooling, so do not overcook.
- 24Store in a metal loosely covered box, not in a plastic container.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.