Nothing pairs better with shortbread then freshly made lemon curd. These shortbread cookies are rich in flavor, made with brown sugar for a slight caramel flavor. Allow time for the dough to refrigerate before baking. The lemon curd can be made while you wait. Made with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, this curd is bursting with citrus flavor and has a creamy, smooth texture. Spread the curd on a shortbread cookie and enjoy!
- lemon curd
- 2 lemon (sieved juice)
- 1 lemon zest
- 100 grams sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 grams butter (diced)
- 90 grams butter (soft)
- 90 grams brown sugar
- 125 grams flour
- 1 egg yolks
- 2 grams salt
- Lemon Curd Preparation:
- Beat egg yolks (with no trace of egg whites), and pour into a saucepan.
- Add lemon juice and sugar.
- Over medium heat, stir for about ten minutes with a spatula until the mixture thickens slightly. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the lemon zest and butter. Mix until the butter is completely melted.
- Optionally, add some orange or tangerine zest for aroma.
- Pour into a small glass container, cover when completely cooled. This lemon curd can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 15 days.
- Spread on toasted bread for breakfast or snack.
- Shortbread Cookie Preparation:
- Stir soft butter to creamy texture.
- Add sugar and salt and mix with a spatula.
- Once creamy, add the egg, and stir until well blended.
- Then gradually pour in flour and stir until the dough takes shape.
- Form a ball of dough, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 5-6 millimeters thick. Cut out small shortbreads with a fluted pastry cutter.
- Place the shortbread cookies on baking pan, bake for about 14 minutes or a little less if softer cookies are preferred. They'll tend to harden after cooling.
- Cool on an elevated cookie rack.
- To serve, spread lemon curd on cookies and top off with slices of sweet, ripe, apricot.
- Halfway through the baking process, double the baking sheet so the shortbread cookies don't blacken underneath.
- The cookies should be lightly browned, but will harden while cooling, so do not overcook.
- Store in a metal loosely covered box, not in a plastic container.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.